This was one of our most popular posts for 2015 and now we’ve UPDATED IT for 2016 (including international research)! In addition to these selections, we’ll be sharing a host of ready-to-use resources from the NIDILRR community and elsewhere. Follow us and other NIDILRR projects on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, and/or Pinterest for more!
September National Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) Awareness Month (take a look at the Congressional declaration)! As librarians, we love nothing more than wandering through our stacks and finding new and interesting material to highlight to our patrons. Browsing through our collection, we could come up with a HUGE display with more than 50 years of SCI research with articles, books, reports, and multimedia items from NIDILRR-funded projects and elsewhere. Just this year, we added more than 85 items! So we created a kind of virtual bookshelf. Each link dives into our collection to find material on a range of issues (technology, employment, therapy). We’ve also broken out some of our newest material, as well as a peek at some of the oldest. As always, if you find an item that interests you, make a note of its Accession Number and get in touch. We’ll do our best to get a copy to you as quickly as possible!
On to our tour!
- 2016 acquisitions on SCI (85)
- Interested in more from the NIDILRR Community? You got it!
- People with SCI are living longer. Here’s research on SCI and aging or longevity (426).
- SCI can happens at any age. Look at these pieces on children and youth and SCI (369).
- What’s it like to be a parent with SCI (24)?
- What about employment? How does SCI impact finding, getting, and keeping a job (446)?
- What does the future hold? How about robotics and SCI (126)? Or stem cells (22)?
- Take a look at some the research by the decades (do you see a pattern here)?
That’s just a glimpse at what we have in our collection. Add to that videos in our multimedia collection, our Librarian’s Picks for SCI organizations, and the knowledge and experience of our information specialists, we’ll help you find the resources you need to celebrate National SCI Awareness Month!