This Wednesday is International Day of Persons with Disabilities (IDPD). The aim of IDPD is to promote an understanding of disability issues; mobilize support for the dignity, rights, and well-being of people with disabilities; and increase awareness of the gains that are derived from the integration of people with disabilities. The theme of this year’s IDPD is Sustainable Development: The Promise of Technology focuses on harnessing the power of technology to promote inclusion and accessibility. This includes three sub-themes: Disability-Inclusive Sustainable Development Goals, Disaster Risk Reduction and Emergency Responses, and Creating Enabling Work Environments.
The United Nations (UN) is hosting a series of events throughout the day that include panel discussions on the sub-themes, press conferences, book launches, and the UN Enable Film Festival organized by DESA. How can you commemorate IDPD 2014? You can organize forums, public discussions and information campaigns that support the themes of IDPD 2014. You can plan, organize, or attend performances that showcase and celebrate the contributions of people with disabilities (including Wednesday’s Broadcast of ADA Live! at 1pm ET). And you can take action by highlighting the best practices and innovative technology that aid in the full inclusion of people with disabilities in their societies.
Here are some resources related to the subthemes:
Disability-Inclusive Development Goals (SDGs)
- The Sustainable Development Goals and Disability
- Introduction to the proposal of the Open Working Group for Sustainable Development Goals
- Outcome document – Open Working Group on Sustainable Development Goals
- The ICT Opportunity for a Disability-Inclusive Development Framework
Disaster risk reduction and emergency responses
- Disability, natural disasters and emergency situations
- WCDRR World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction, 14-18 March 2015, Sendai, Japan
- DESA Forum Roundtable Discussion on Disability Inclusive Disaster Risk Reduction and Resilience
- UN International Day for Disaster Reduction
Creating Enabling Work Environments