The Rehabilitation Engineering Research Center on Technologies for Children with Pediatric Disabilities (Tech4POD) is a NIDRR-funded RERC that focuses on advanced engineering research and the development of innovative technologies addressing children with orthopedic disabilities. Tech4POD’s four research activities and development projects focus on developing new tools, better technologies, and improved treatment strategies for children with cerebral palsy, clubfoot, spina bifida, spinal cord injuries, osteogenesis imperfecta, and other orthopaedic and musculoskeletal conditions. In conjunction with the American Academy for Cerebral Palsy and Developmental Medicine (AACPDM) annual meeting held October 16th through 18th, 2013 at the Milwaukee at the Wisconsin Center located near Marquette University (home of the Tech4POD RERC); the project conducted six activities related to the RERC’s progress, productivity, and contribution to the field of pediatric rehabilitation including:
- Tech4POD Workshop (October 16th) – The four-hour workshop, “New Clinical Horizons and Emerging Mobility Technologies—A Research Driven Process” The workshop included a “hands on” session with their new Kinect System and the IntelliStretch Ankle Robot. PowerPoint slides were made available.
- Tech4POD RERC Annual Meeting (October 17th) – The meeting included research, development, and training and dissemination directors as well as RERC committee directors.
- Tech4POD RERC Poster Session (October 17th) – A special section of the AACPDM posters were presented and a series of twenty Tech4POD RERC posts were presented and on display.
- Tech4POD Invited Guest Lectureship (October 17th) – Conducted a guest lectureship to the AACPDM membership/academy, “Technologies for the Assessment and Care of Children with Cerebral Palsy.”
- Tech4POD Exhibit (October 17th – 19th) – The RERC exhibit included staff from United Cerebral Palsy of Southeast Wisconsin. RERC materials were on display as well as updates on the most recent research and development accomplishments.
- Tech4POD Scientific Presentations (October 17th – 19th) – Presentations were held throughout the AACPDM meeting
For more information on Tech4POD please visit www.tech4pod.org or contact them by email at email@example.com or by phone at 855/499 – 8583. You can also learn more information about and locate documents associated with this and other NIDRR projects at www.naric.com; specifically for Tech4POD at tinyurl.com/mpd7k9k.