The Model Systems Knowledge Translation Center has an excellent library of fact sheets designed to answer some of your most pressing questions about spinal cord injury (SCI), traumatic brain injury (TBI), and burn injury. These sheets are comprehensive and authoritative. Each is developed with input from researchers and professionals and vetted by people with disabilities and health professionals (the whole process is available at http://msktc.washington.edu/infoneeds/develop/strategy.asp). What are the topics, you ask?
- Skin care and pressure sores (a 7 part series!)
- Pain after SCI
- Depression and SCI
- Safe transfer techniques
- The Wheelchair Series (3 parts of helpful info!)
- Understanding TBI (a 4 part series!)
- Sleep and TBI
- Driving after TBI
- Cognitive problems
- Emotional problems
- Returning to School
- TBI and acute inpatient rehab
- Minimally conscious and vegetative states (we’ve blogged about this one before. It answers so many questions we receive here at NARIC)
- Sleep problems
- Psychological distress after burn injury
All three sections have more topics in progress. Look for articles on exercise, sexuality, parenting, social skills, substance abuse, vocational rehabilitation and employment, and much more.
Please share this information with your friends, family, coworkers, and health care and service providers!
Some of these sheets are also available in Spanish.